Let's Throw Steve Knight
An Early Retirement Party!
Please make plans to join us as we kick off 2018 with the year’s first street protest – an Early Retirement Party for Rep. Steve Knight at his Simi Valley office! It kicks off on Saturday, January 27 at 3:30 p.m.
Our last two Weekly Newsletters have featured Save the Date notices for a General Meeting on Jan. 28. However, following the success of Early Retirement Parties organized by Indivisible groups nationwide this month – including the rallies that helped Darrell Issa decide to give up his reelection bid – we decided it would be better to stage a rally than a meeting to celebrate Indivisible: Conejo’s first anniversary and point the way forward for 2018!
We'll begin a week of celebrations with three Retirement Postcard Parties, where we’ll create messages congratulating Rep. Knight on his transition to post-congressional life! On the 27th we’ll have cake, party hats, a big Gold Watch for congressman Knight, and other festive accoutrements – and then we’ll head across the parking lot for Happy Hour margaritas at Chuy’s restaurant.
Here are the dates and locations for our Postcard Parties.Please RSVP!
- Monday, Jan. 22, 2-4 p.m., Stonehaus at the Westlake Village Inn (31943 Agoura Road)
- Tuesday, Jan. 23, 4-6 p.m. at a private home in Thousand Oaks (address provided after you RSVP)
- Wednesday, Jan. 24, 7-9 p.m. at Pitfire Pizza in Westlake Village (966 S. Westlake Blvd., in Gelson's Plaza)
The address of Knight's office is 1445 E. Los Angeles Ave. in Simi Valley.
CVUSD High School Parents:
Resist the New Opt-Out Policy
With An Act of Civil Disobedience!
Two weeks ago the extremist CVUSD board majority put the finishing touches on its new policy encouraging parents to defy teachers' curriculum decisions, frightening those parents with vague and arbitrary content warnings about classic novels, and creating a new committee of community members to perpetuate the Culture War they've started.
Next week, teachers are being required to begin implementing the policy by sending home a syllabus or other document that features the board majority's new parental warnings. In response, a group of local parents has devised an ingenious act of civil disobedience to show far-right board members Mike Dunn, John Andersen and Sandee Everett that we don't approve of their disrespect for our teachers or the censorship that likely will result.
Here is their request. Please copy and paste it as your social media status, and/or forward it to every CVUSD high school parent in your email contact list!
CONEJO VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS –
PLEASE SHARE VIA SOCIAL MEDIA & EMAIL!
The extremist Conejo Valley USD school board majority is implementing its divisive “opt-out” policy for the English curriculum during the week of January 23. Please don’t participate in this policy!
- The board is requiring teachers to send home a syllabus or other document featuring language that warns parents if they plan to teach what some board members consider “indecent” literary works.
- We will be instructed to sign and return this document. But PLEASE NOTE that refusing to do so will have NO EFFECT on your student’s education. “We are not going to demand that we have a signature,” board member Sandee Everett said before the policy was approved.
This new policy disrespects our teachers and harms our students! It encourages you to doubt the judgment of professional educators, and it is likely to result in teachers having to make hard choices about whether they’ll continue to use important books in the curriculum – classic novels like “The Catcher in the Rye,” “The Kite Runner,” and “Beloved.”
THERE’S ONE WAY WE ALL CAN FIGHT THIS EXTREMIST POLICY: CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE!
1. Please DO NOT SIGN OR RETURN any syllabus/document that includes parental warnings to your student’s English teacher!
2. Instead, send it to board member Sandee Everett (who wrote the policy) at this address: Sandee Everett, Trustee, CVUSD, 1400 E. Janss Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362.
3. Write in the document’s margins that you DO NOT APPROVE of an opt-out policy that distrusts our teachers and leads to censorship in our schools.
4. Or, shred the document before mailing!
5. SHARE your act of civil disobedience on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat, with the hashtags #NoCVUSDcensorship, #SendItToSandee and #TearItUp!
6. And PLEASE COPY & SHARE this request with every CVUSD high school parent you know! THANK YOU!!!
“If Anything Needs Warning Label, It’s This School Board,” Thousand Oaks Acorn, Nov. 9, 2017: https://www.toacorn.com/articles/if-anything-needs-warning-label-its-this-school-board/
“School Board Ignores ‘The Conejo Way,’” Ventura County Star, Nov. 11, 2017: http://www.vcstar.com/story/opinion/editorials/2017/11/11/editorial-school-board-ignores-the-conejo-way/854390001/
“You can do anything you want…”, Anonymous Mommy blog, Nov. 14, 2017: http://www.anonymousmommy.com/blog/november-14th-2017
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
Indivisible: Conejo Daily Actions,
1/8 - Support CA's Sabotage of the #TrumpTaxScam
1/9 - Save Salvadoran Refugees from Trump's Deportation Regime
1/10 - Help Force Congressional Votes to Save Net Neutrality
1/11 - No More Excuses - Restore CHIP Now!
1/16 - Demand Reforms Before Reauthorizing FISA Data Collection
1/18 - No DREAM Act? No CHIP? No Deal!
1/19 - Go Ahead, GOP: Shut This S***hole Down